2. Fire Precautions, as mentioned below, should be strictly implemented (Rule 117):
a. The area should be observed strictly as a “NO Smoking Zone” and there should be signage to that effect around the storage site.
b. Carrying matches, fuses or other appliances capable of producing ignition or explosion inside and in the vicinity of the area used for storage of petroleum should be strictly prohibited.
c. No fire, furnace or other source of heat or light capable of igniting inflammable vapor shall be allowed in the petroleum storage area.
d. An adequate number of oil fire extinguishers should always be available and all staff should be fully trained in their use.
3. Supervision of operations should be by an experienced responsible supervisor and the staff should have proper safety training (Rule 118).
4. Prevention of unauthorized entry by a wall/fence 1.8 M high (rule 121).
5. In the Petroleum Storage shed, only Petroleum is to be stored (Rule 122) and nothing else.
6. Tanks for the storage of petroleum shall be constructed of iron or steel in accordance with the ISI specification and tank capacity is to be marked on them.
The tanks shall be protected against corrosion and tested by water pressure and certified by a competent person before usage (Rules 123-126).
7. Earthing of tank (Rule 127) and testing of earth connections by a competent person at least once a year (Rule 128).
8. Certificate of safety (Rule 130): A certificate of safety as per the prescribed format and signed by a competent person, shall be furnished to the licensing authority before any petroleum is stored.
9. Posting up of rules and conditions: An extract of rules 3 to 12,102 to 115,116 to 134,146 to 148 and 152 to 160 and the conditions of license, is to be exhibited in a conspicuous place in the area (Rulel34).